Victoria, the south east Australian state is listed as one of the best places to live in the world. It’s capital city Melbourne is ranked as the most liveable city in the country.With roaring outdoor sporting events, Popular coastal drives and sensational food and wine tastings, Victoria boasts both the heart-pumping and the heavenly experiences.
The Culture and sports-loving capital city of Victoria has enough infrastructure and natural wonders to keep visitors entertained for days. But even better is that some of Victoria’s most beautiful places are within just a few hours drive from the city. From islands speckled with little penguins to incredible mountain landscapes and one of the world’s most famous coastal drives, Victoria is a treat to tourists.
The below are the must visit places to visit in Victoria, Australia
1. Great Ocean Drive : It is one the most scenic coastal drives in the world. The Great ocean drive road begins after a 90 minute drive from Melbourne city. The road itself is considered as a major tourist attraction, in which major area of the road hugs coastline affectionately known as Surf Coast. The road travels via “Anglesea, Lorne, Apollo Bay and Port Campbell”. The ocean drive is also famous for natural limestone and sandstone rock formation including “Loch Ard Gorge (best formation of 12 apostles), The Grotto, the 12 Apostles and London Arch”. The 12 Apostles and Loch Ard Gorge are such a beautiful places which attracts the tourists. These places are also been used as a beautiful backdrop for many fictional movies.
2. Phillip Island : This place is a very popular Day-trip from Melbourne. It Features spectacular coastal scenery of Australia’s southern coast. Without a doubt “Phillip Island Chocolate Factory” is the most sweetest and attractive place to be visited for choclate lovers, which develops a addiction to chocolates. The “Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit” is a motor racing circuit located near Ventnor, it has four lanes with amazingly built tracks . The island includes the “Nobbies centre” for the view of seals, dolphins and sharks. The “Penguin Parade” in which little penguins coming ashore at dusk and return to shore en masse every sunset. One can also choose to take up the Ultimate Penguin Parade Tour, which offers more personal and intimate penguin encounter. Phillip island is also famous for its strawberry farms and wineries.
3. Mount Buller : Mount Buller has everything you need for a perfect winter vacation and for a snow experience in Victoria. It is a town located in the Shire of Mansfield in the Alpine region of the Australian state of Victoria. It is a 3 hours drive from Melbourne city. The place is centre for skiing and snowboarding, there are 100 kms of slopes available. The mid-June is the perfect time of the year to visit this place for the best winter experience.
4. Mornington Peninsula : The morning peninsula is a short Day-trip from Melbourne. The peninsula which is nearly an hour away from Melbourne is famous for its cherries, wineries which are served direcly from farms. The natural hot springs of the peninsula is a major crowd pulling attraction. Mornington is also famous for its fancy restaurants mainly serving food with sea spray herbs, sea weed and mushrooms. One will be amazed by the view of the area’s clean beach water, where you can clearly notice the sea floor from above.
5. The Grampians : The locals favourite landscapes has long winding hiking trials and incredible lookouts. The Brooks Lookout tops the list, this is a place for easy stroll through stringybark forest, two lookouts for unrivalled views over the halls gap valley, Mt William range and farmland plains to the east. you need to start early to enjoy the beautiful sunrise and stay late to see the sunset through the rugged landscape ablaze with the shades of gold, crimson and bronze. The places like “the Pinnacle Walk and Lookout, Reeds Lookout and Balconies, Mount Willian Summit, Mackenzie Falls” are the must visits at Grampians.
6. Mount Hotham : There are many snowfields in Victoria, but Mount Hotham is the biggest and the best. Hotham sits high above the rest of the mountain ranges in the area and gives you incredible views as you ski down the mountains. It is the perfect winter escape where you can rest in your very own super cute teepee at Alpine Nature Experience, after having delicious cheese fondue and wine evening. The drive up the mountains will give a beautiful experience and view of mountains covered with heavy snow till the end of your eye sight.
7. Wilsons Promontory : Located at the southernmost tip of Australia’s mainland, Wilson Promontory offers visitors a bit of everything you might be looking for in Australia. Surrounded by stunning coastlines, full of white sand beaches, Wilsons Prom is also home to thick bush land, huge granite mountains and lots of native Australian wildlife. Wilson prom is a great place to disconnect from the world for a few days take a multi day hike to the untouched side of the island where you can sleep in little camp spots along the way before reaching the most beautiful and deserted beaches in the park. Picnic bay, Whiskey bay, Promontory Wildlife Walk and Little Waterloo Bay are must visits in Wilsons Prom.
8. Melbourne : The capital city of Victoria. Melbourne is a popular city and well known around the world. With lot of indian diaspora, it’s popular for being culturally pretty unique and diverse city in Australia. There is so much here to keep you busy for weeks. The main city area is filled with graffiti filled alley ways, unique boutiques, underground restaurants and bars and also rooftop cocktail pubs gardens. There’s a cruise ride along the Yarra River that winds through the city, the view from the top of the Eureka Skydeck, the beautiful view of city from the hot air ballon ride is something worth visiting. You must try getting out of CBD and explore some of the surrounding suburbs to check out more of the local cultural and scenic view of the old Melbourne. One can take a short train ride or tram ride from city to South Yarra, St Kilda, Richmond to spend a day. All places in the city offer super unique experiences, however the experiences might be a bit expensive here than the rest of Victoria.