‘Avakaya pickle‘ is a traditional Indian condiment made with raw mangoes, spices and oil. Mango pickle is relished as a side in every meal by Indians.
There are many varieties of Mango pickles made in Indian households. However our very own (Telugu states recipe) Avakaya is one of best varieties adored by people who prefer hot and spicy foods. This can be made with almost any variety of raw mangoes and can be consumed after 3 days of preparation.
The shelf life of avakaya pickle will be anywhere between 2-3 months in room temperature. But if it is stored carefully in refrigerator it will last for 6-7 months.
1. Six medium size Mangoes.
2. 100 gms of Fenugreek seeds.
3. 150 gms of mustard (seeds) powder
4. 200 gms of Guntur Red mirchi powder
5. 100 gms of salt
6. 100 ml of Groundnut Oil
7. 20-25 peeled Garlic Cloves
Note : Adjust Mirchi powder quantity according to your spice requirements
1. Take raw mangoes and wash them neatly. Cut them into small cubes and dry them for a minimum of 5-6 hours.
2. Take a big bowl, put all the chopped mango pieces in it and make sure there are no traces of water in the bowl.
3. Add Groundnut Oil, Fenugreek seeds, mustard powder and red mirchi powder in the above said quantities and mix it thoroughly with hands by adding sufficient salt. Add Garlic cloves to the mixture and mix it again thoroughly until all the ingredients are well mixed.
4. After mixing, place them in air sealed Jar(try to avoid plastic jars) and keep it aside for 3 days. Mix the pickle everyday at-least twice a day for the whole three days.
5. On 4th day, taste the pickle and adjust the salt and oil accordingly if required.
1. Place mango pieces on dry cloth after cutting them.
2. Used a wooden spoon to mix the pickle (daily)
3. Make sure the pickle is placed in a dry environment to increase its shelf life.